PECF Member Spotlight Brian Briggs
Hear from Brian Briggs, one of PECF’s OG’s, on what he has to share about his fitness journey, what motivates him, and the sage advice he has for all of us wanting to achieve more in 2018.
What made you decide to try out PECF?
I had a major health issue that was a big wake-up call for me.
After two long hospital stays and major surgery I started walking 3-8 miles per day and lost approximately 90 pounds.
I needed something more challenging and discovered Crossfit. My first day of bootcamp quickly showed me how out of shape and weak I was.
I’m in better shape and stronger now, but I have a long way to go.
What were some of your goals?
1. Challenge myself with HIIT type conditioning
2. Get stronger
3. Lose weight
What are 3 accomplishments that you are proud of since joining PECF?
1. 100 Pull-Ups & 100 Push-ups on 12/15/17 (0 on Day 1)
2. Grace – 3:54 (First Rx attempt)
3. 1600m Run – 8:44
If you had to identify 1 key element you’ve found that has helped you achieve your fitness goals, what would they be?
There are several key elements…persistence, great coaching, & member support.
Name 1 hidden talent you have
The ability to make green cotton shorts (they are NOT athletic attire but Brian rocks them well) look fashionable.
Name 1 talent you wish you had
To understand the lyrics in some of the songs that are played during our WODs.
What advice would you have for someone new?
Show Up, Work Hard, Don’t be afraid to scale movements, and have FUN!
What are your goals for 2018
1. Better cardio conditioning – sub 8:15 mile
2. Continue to improve upper body strength – string together multiple kipping pull-ups, ring dips, handstand push-ups, etc
4. Continue to improve lifting technique & strength – 225# Clean, 210# C&J, 145# Snatch, 350# DL, 365# BS, 285# FS, 225# Bench
5. Compete in Crossfit competition
6. Lose 40lbs